Fifty years ago a woman’s odds of getting breast cancer was 1:22 and today it’s 1:7 for women age 80 and above. As a woman ages, her chances of developing breast cancer also increases. At age 30, it is 1 out of 2,213 and at age 40, it jumps to 1:235 and by age 50, it becomes 1:54. It is also said that about 1:6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime and 1:34 will die of it. The chance of developing prostate cancer also increases with age. An estimated 8 out of 10 men diagnosed with prostate cancer are over age 65. According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), one third of all men over age 50 have microscopic signs of prostate cancer.
What is causing breast cancer among women? Estrogen is a hormone primarily produced from cholesterol by the ovaries each month. The hormone exists in three different forms, Estrone (E1), Estradiol (E2), and Estriol (E3). Of the three, Estrone (E1) and Estradiol (E2) are the more potent forms and have been linked to potentially cause several disorders.
Although ovaries are the main source of estrogen before menopause, the production of estrogen from the fat tissue becomes nonstop after menopause. Fat tissues contain the enzyme Aromatase, which converts androgen into Estrone and Estradiol and carry estrogen production without the ovaries. Women who are not yet in the phase of menopause can also be in the state of Estrogen Dominance. They can have high levels of estrogen that may stimulate tissue overgrowth in their reproductive organs leading to malignancy. Studies have shown that uterine fibroids, cysts, breast masses and even ovarian cancer arise from excess estrogen, either by the overproduction of the body or from external sources like estrogen pills or synthetic chemicals called Xenoestrogens.
Several factors that contribute to an increase in the levels of estrogen in the body:
- Obesity: fat cells convert into Estrone and younger women with belly fat are prone to have hormonal problems due to high levels of estrogen.
- Xenoestrogens: synthetic chemicals that act like estrogen in the body can be found in lotions, shampoos, soaps, perfumes and hair sprays.
- Commercially grown cattle and poultry: fed with estrogen hormones as well as growth hormones
- Commercially grown fruits and vegetables: chemical pesticides sprayed on vast agricultural lands. These chemicals act like estrogen in the body.
- HRT: women who use Hormone Replacement Therapy, also get exogenous estrogens that increase the load of the hormones in the body.
A study conducted in England revealed that if women use estrogen and progesterone products together, there is a 66% increase in breast cancer cases. If only progesterone products are used, there is still an increase by 22% in breast cancer cases. – Family Physicians Journal
Now what about men? The role of estrogen dominance also explains the rise of prostate conditions in men. Estrogen is not only produced in women but also in men. The aromatase enzyme can also be found in the testicles, skin, brain, fat tissue and bones, which can convert testosterone into Estradiol. So, those with large belly fat and those whose Aromatase enzyme stores are larger, have higher levels of Estradiol. The prostate gland is also estrogen-sensitive and increases in sized with estrogenic stimulation.
An increase in Estradiol and Estrone levels in the body puts men at great risk in developing prostate cancer. Also, testosterone is converted to another by product called Dihydric-testosterone (DHT) by another enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase. This DHT by product is notorious for stimulating prostate tissue growth leading to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH).
The reason why the trend in breast cancer is mirrored by prostate cancer is pretty clear. Both are the result of the same hormonal imbalance: ESTROGEN DOMINANCE. Increased levels of Estradiol is strongly linked to the formation of BOTH breast cancer and prostate cancer.
Is there a way to bring your estrogen down naturally? Yes, at TLC Acupuncture & Natural Medicine, we carry a supply of effective herbal supplements that decreases the production of Estrogen as well as blocking the Estrogen Receptors in estrogen-receptive tissue. This is accomplished by:
- Reducing the production of Estrone and estradiol with increasing the levels of Estriol, the good form of Estrogen
- Building up Testosterone levels resulting in more muscles, increased energy and libido
- Reducing belly fat
- If using progesterone products, it prevents the conversion of this hormone into the bad forms of Estrogen, Estrone and Estradiol
If you or someone you know is suffering from any of the estrogen-related disorders like breast cysts, uterine fibroids, ovarian mass, an enlarged prostate or high PSA levels contact TLC Acupuncture & Natural Medicine to schedule a consult to get to the ‘Root of your Cause’.